Équité Association maintains Canada’s only cargo theft database with information on stolen trucks, trailers, cargo and heavy equipment. While often an underreported crime, Canadian cargo losses increased by almost 30% in 2022 compared to the previous year. Our cargo theft database provides intelligence to law enforcement through 24/7 secure online access.
To help keep cargo and drivers safe, we are providing truck drivers, fleet managers, and logistics/supply chain professionals with best practices to minimize the risk of theft, damage, and loss of shipments.
Be Aware when Parking
- Avoid Leaving Loaded Trailers Unattended: Whenever possible, avoid stopping to rest in high-crime areas or regions prone to cargo theft. Some GPS navigation systems can provide real-time security alerts to help keep drivers out of hot spots.
- Park in Secure Areas: Choose secure parking areas or truck stops equipped with surveillance cameras, fences, security personnel, and well-lit surroundings.
Install Anti-Theft Devices and Supporting Technology
- Employ Advanced Locking Mechanisms: High-quality locks and seals on cargo containers and trailer doors can help deter thieves.
- Set Up Video Surveillance Inside the Cabin: This can help deter theft and vandalism, while providing evidence for an investigation in the event of an incident.
- Install a King Pin Lock: If it is unavoidable to stage/drop a load in a high-risk area, consider installing a King Pin lock to prevent criminals from hooking up to the trailer.
- Implement Electronic Tracking Systems: Invest in GPS tracking systems that allow you to monitor your vehicles and cargo.
Tips for Trucking and Fleet Companies
- Perform Driver Background Checks: When hiring drivers, conduct comprehensive background checks.
- Train and Educate Drivers: Ensure your drivers are aware of risks and understand how to implement cargo security protocols.
- Establish Theft-Alert Communication Process: Create a communication process that will quickly alert fleet drivers when a trailer/cargo theft occurs, to enable all drivers to be vigilant and support with stolen cargo identification, where possible.